Thursday, November 12, 2015

APPARITION'S CLASS


Apparitions Class

effective Fall 2015


Course Description:
In today's class, we will be exploring and analyzing the following concepts:

  • the mechanics of apparition
    • what is apparition?
    • what are the dangers?
    • who can do it?
  • apparating through text (Books)
    • how is this possible? 
    • examples of such phenomena
  • reasonable "distances" to apparate (Blogging)
    • a study revealing reasonable apparitions 







I. Mechanics of Apparition



Here's an example of a successful apparition. 
What is apparition? 

Apparition is a form of teleportation and requires both concentration and confidence. (Note: If you are lackadaisical or a tad absentminded, apparition may not be the best choice of transportation.) Theoretically, apparition is quite simple and is taught using the 3 D's: 

  1. Fix your mind firmly upon the desired destination.
  2. Focus your determination to occupy the visualized space. Let your yearning to enter it flood from your mind to every particle of your body.
  3. Turn on the spot, feeling your way into nothingness, moving with deliberation.

WAIT JUST A MOMENT! 

I know you are probably thinking "Wow, that's sounds so easy! I'm ready to try it NOW." And yes it may not seem that difficult, but there are many things that can go wrong. Which brings us to the next topic: 



What are the dangers?

The most dangerous outcome of apparition is becoming splinched. Splinching happens when one does not concentrate long enough or hard enough and accidentally leaves body parts behind. Isn't that horrific? And it can happen to even the most talented of wizards: Ron Weasley underwent this painful experience while escaping from the (infiltrated) ministry of magic. 

Apparition is also known to cause nausea and vomiting. 

Who can do it?
Because apparition is such an inherently risky undertaking, the Ministry of Magic has decreed that one must be at least 17 years old to be eligible to legally apparate. However, if you are younger than 17, I will not stop you from learning. ;) 
Although Hogwarts does not traditionally offer Apparitions as a course, the Ministry of Magic has given me special permission to teach this class and issue Apparition Licenses, provided that my students pass the test!


II. Apparating through Text

Harry being pulled into Riddle's diary. 
How is this possible?
One of the many joys of reading is escaping to new, exotic places. To many muggles (non-readers), books may seem dull and lifeless. But, as an experienced witch (reader), I can tell you that I've lived many lives, visited countless beautiful places, and met the most amazing people by apparating (aka imagining) myself *through* books. As mentioned before, this undertaking requires concentration. When reading a book, try to savor the language, the ideas, and the scenes. However, it is entirely understandable that such wonderful books are hard to come by. In order to help you experience this phenomena, me and my colleagues have compiled a number of books, each of which will take you all through an unforgettable adventure. 

Examples of this phenomena:


GRYFFINDOR:
tuzi: 
  • Penryn and the End of Days series by Susan Ee
  • Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
  • The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima
  • The 39 Clues series 
RAVENCLAW: 
claire
The Throne of Glass and Gallagher Girls series were roller-coasters! I had a lot of fun finishing them. 
angel: 
Percy Jackson series, enough said. 
shannelle: 
The Inkheart series had me so invested. A story about a guy who can make things come to life from the books he reads? Cornelia Funke did such a fantastic job of creating the fantasy, and it was so satisfying to reach the end of such an epic story. 
tiffany: 


  • Percy Jackson 
  • Made You Up 
  • The Anatomical Shape of a Heart
  • Legend
HUFFLEPUFF:
nori: 
I loved the Gone series by Michael Grant. 
SLYTHERIN:
aentee: 
Six of Crows with its charismatic cast of criminals and fast paced action.
aila: 
Skipping the predictable (yet true) comments of PJO or HP, the Unwind dystology by Neal Shusterman was absolutely amazing. 
joey: 


  • The Blackthorn Key (MG) is a intricate goldmine of mystery and alchemical goodness.
  •  Six of Crows (YA) features a stellar ensemble that thrives to balance wonderful characterizations with an urban/high fantasy touch.
  • A Darker Shade of Magic (Adult) has an impeccable setting with a magic system that’s to die for.



III. Reasonable "Distances" to Apparate
One important lesson to keep in mind is that you must not strain yourself while attempting apparition. You must be both languid and alert when attempting to apparate and must KNOW BOTH YOUR BOUNDARIES AS WELL AS YOUR DESTINATION when attempting this tiring yet magical activity. 

A Study Revealing Reasonable Apparitions (Aspirations):
When asked the question "Where do you see your blog in a year?," my test subjects, aka colleagues, responded in many different veins, some expanding upon their blogging life, lessening their blogging schedule, or improving their blogging habits.

GRYFFINDOR:
tuzi
Reviewing books, slowly but steadily; hope to be chugging out at least one review per week. 
RAVENCLAW:
claire
Hopefully, still live and well in the blogosphere! I try not to think much about when I will stop blogging. Instead, I try to focus on sustaining it and my love of reading for as long as possible. 
angel
Hopefully my blog will still live this time next year. My first semester of being a third year college student was so exhausting I’d like to think school stuff would slow down when I’m in my final year! I’d actually like to be more than just a book blog. Like, maybe share more of what’s happening in my personal life but I don’t know how to do that since I suck at sharing personal things.
shannelle 
I’m trying to find a way to meld all my interests together. I’m currently a book blog, but I want to move past that, and it’s tricky figuring out who is my audience and how exactly do I want to define The Art of Escapism. I love lettering, I want to share my progress in running my “business,” and I also want to share my travels and experiences from studying abroad. And hopefully, in a year, I’ll have figured it out. 
tiffany
Hopefully I'm still blogging in a year! My goal is to write more discussion posts, since I rarely write them now. And also, interact with other blogger! I believe in a year there will be many new book bloggers.
HUFFLEPUFF:
nori
I certainly hope to still be blogging in a year! I love blogging, and I don't see myself quitting anytime soon. My goal is to get ahead on more posts, rather than rushing to get everything done the night before
SLYTHERIN:
aentee
I think my real life will be steadily more filed up with adulting, and I admit to already laying off on my blogging schedule. I see myself still reading and posting, but probably not to the same frequency.
aila
In a cardboard box on the streets, typing it up 24/7 while sitting on top of a pile of books. Just kidding! I’m always scared that life will catch up to me and my blog, but my GOAL in a year is to make all the blogging friends and have tactful discussion posts included in the blogosphere.    
joey 
I hope to be blogging at the same pace as I am now but hopefully be better at scheduling posts rather than going all trigger happy and posting everything once it’s complete. One of my key focuses going into the new year is to reevaluate my brand as it [hopefully] steps into the realms of self-hosting.

TO RECAP: 
+ approach blogging as you would apparition: have a goal (destination) in mind, and stay focused 
+ when you read, it should be to enjoy, to learn, and to experience. so savor the moment



Dear Student, 
In recognition of your hard work and dedication, I'd like to award you with the Apparition License. Please remember not to scare any muggles :)

right click to save, then add you name in the blank!

Your Truly,
Tuzi 


next week, next class: 

Prof. Aimee is teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts and she will cover a range of topic such as  protecting yourself from the "dark side" of blogging as well as choosing the books that will make you feel at your best. 
SEE YOU THEN!

NOTES AND REFERENCES
  1. Basics of Apparition
  2. my colleagues 
  3. Muggles Guide to Apparition
  4. Diary image

Feel free to continue this discussion down below in the comments!